Friday, November 16, 2007

The Sword

I am just learning to use the sword of the spirit, the word of God so that I can deal with the lies the devil is constantly pounding into my head.

I have long been wearing the helmet of salvation and the breastplate of righteousness given me at my spiritual birth. I have even been walking in the sandals of the gospel of peace and have accepted the girdle of truth. Maybe not perfectly, and I know I need to learn to use this armor to fight, but I have found another weapon...

...the sword...

When the devil reminds me of my past sin and wants to make me doubt that I have been forgiven, I can tell him what God said “Though your sins are as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow.”

When he tells me I’m worthless, I remember that “I am crucified with Christ, therefore I no longer live, but Jesus Christ now lives in me.”

When I am tempted to go after the things of this world, I hear the Lord say, “The world is passing away and the lust of it; but he who does the will of God abides forever” 1 John 2: 16-18

When I want justice done and am not treated fairly, I hear: “He shall lead His flock like a shepherd; he shall gather the lambs in His arms and carry them in His bosom and shall gently lead those that are with young.

When I want revenge… "Vengeance is mine says the Lord, I will repay.”

I have a big problem with worry: it is a sin like all the rest: “Do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will have its own worries, sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.”

This without doubting is my most powerful instrument for the battle. Could I give my head for it as our for-fathers have? I would love to have their faith, or that of Moses or Joseph and David.

Yet again He calls my name, “Nelda, you need only the faith of a child.”

No comments: