Sunday, November 11, 2007

Calvary Love

Talk about a challenge Dianna, today at church I was severally challenged to not only love with my lips and with words but with deeds and in truth. We had the Love chapter, Cor. 13.

Many years ago in Airport I found this in the garbage behind our new house. I was just doing some Friday cleaning and I sat down on our porch to read it. I was moved to tears because of how far off I was from knowing anything about Calvary love. It helped change me and the direction that I wanted my relationships to go. I read it often because it always keeps me reminded of where and what real love in action is.
Calvary Love

If I am perturbed by reproach and misunderstanding, if I cannot commit the matter and go in peace and silence remembering Gethsemane and the cross,
then I know nothing of Calvary love.

If I hold onto a choices of any kind just because they are my choices: if I give room for private likes and dislikes,
then I know nothing of Calvary love.

If I am soft on myself and slid comfortably into the vice of self-pity and self-sympathy; if I do not by the grace of God practice fortitude,
then I know nothing of Calvary love.

If I cannot in honest happiness take the second place (or the twentieth): if I cannot take the first place without making a fuss about my unworthiness,
then I know nothing of Calvary love.

If I take offence easily, if I am content to continue in cool unfriendliness, though friendship is possible,
then I know nothing of Calvary love.

If a sudden disturbance can cause me to speak an impatient, unloving word,
then I know nothing of Calvary love.
(For a cup brimful of sweet water cannot spill one drop of bitter water however suddenly jolted.)

If the care of a person or a community be entrusted to me, and I consent to subject it to weakening influences because the voice of the world..my immediate Christian world…fills my ears,
then I know nothing of Calvary love.

If monotony tries me and I cannot stand drudgery; if stupid people fret me and little ruffles set me on edge; if I make much of the trifles of life,
then I know nothing of Calvary love.

If interruptions annoy me and private cares make me impatient; if I sadden the souls about me because I myself am sad,
then I know nothing of Calvary love.

If souls can suffer alongside me and I hardly know it, because the spirit of discernment is not in me,
then I know nothing of Calvary love.

If I become entangled in matters of the world; if things or places or people, hold me back from obedience to my Lord,
then I know nothing of Calvary love.

If my interest in the work of others is cool; if I think on terms of my own special work; if the burdens of others are not my burdens too, and their joy mine,
then I know nothing of Calvary love.

If I wonder why suffering is allowed, and press for prayer that it may be removed; if I cannot be trusted with any disappointment, and cannot go in peace under any suffering,
then I know nothing of Calvary love.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank-you Nelda,for your challenging entry. I'll print it and leave it where i can read it everyday. I luv your blog...:)

Judy

Anonymous said...

Enjoy, my dear, and thanks for leaving me a comment. Nel